"The current stagnant results mirror how the peaks of other fintech sectors have worked, according to Deloitte.
“The number of new insurtechs kept rising in both 2015 and 2016, at a time when startup activity in the other financial sectors had already started dropping from their high point,” the report says." Digital Insurance Oct 3rd 2018
Those insurtechs that have a compelling answer to real problems insurers MUST solve urgently are already making an impact meaning there are fewer gaps for new insurtechs to address.
The momentum is with the 10% of insurtechs that have these compelling solutions leaving 90% fighting for survival.
The “Insurtech Entering its Second Wave” report, which includes data from the Venture Scanner database, finds that investors will shift their focus from new startups to established innovators and more mature firms.